Monday, October 24, 2011

What a Long, Strange Trip - the saga begins

In December of 2010, after much discussion and prayer, my wife and I decided that it was time to leave the pulpit of the United Methodist Church. I was a Licensed Local Pastor seeking ordination, but - for whatever reason - that wasn't happening. I had been in contact with the Department of Juvenile Corrections and the Twin Falls Juvenile Court, hoping to partner with them on a grant to facilitate and coordinate Restorative Justice conferences. I made the announcement in January of 2011, and began preparing for this transition. 

June of 2011 was my last official month in the UMC. As the first weeks of July came to an end, we sat down expectantly waiting for the latest news on the grant-writing process. It was revealed that the grant I had hoped for had gone to someone else. I was unemployed. I began plastering the country with my resume, sending out around twenty all across the United States. I had resumes in five time zones; every one but Alaska. And I heard nothing. 

The very same evening that I learned about the loss of the grant, the whole family was watching Pirates of the Caribbean: Curse of the Black Pearl. At one point, Captain Jack Sparrow says, "Clearly, you've never been to Singapore". I thought to myself, "Heh, neither have I". And so, Southeast Asia entered my consciousness.

No comments:

Post a Comment