Sunday, July 29, 2012

Technical Difficulties

I had hoped there would be a video here. La Cabane.

I have been trying unsuccessfully to upload a video of an interview that Andrea did with Paul Young, the author of The Shack. It’s a really cool video too. Here’s how it all came about…

A couple of months ago, a friend of ours - Ted Angell - suggested to Andrea the possibility of interviewing Paul, and translating the interview into French. Ted and Paul had done similar interviews into Spanish and Portuguese. After a bit of anxiety, she agreed.

We met Paul in Portland on the 18th of July. They started out by chatting a bit about Third Culture Kid stuff and just kind of getting acquainted. She briefly mentioned some of the questions that we had kind of thrown around as ideas. While they were doing that, I was busy setting up a small handheld video cam and doing a back-up with the webcam on my laptop.

The conversation was entirely spontaneous. Paul presents first in English, then Andrea translates into French. He managed to incorporate every question and idea into pretty much a monologue, on the spot. I got two really good videos of the interview.

Unfortunately, I am only a “Level Four Geek”. Apparently there is something wrong in the code… or it’s too long… or I’m simply inept. I don’t know. But for the life of me I cannot get the video (almost half an hour long) to load to YouTube or this blog, either in MP4 or Windows Media File formats. I have tried multiple times and get error messages each time.

Needless to say I am greatly disappointed. I plan to give it a few more tries (and if anyone with a higher “Geek Clearance” than me wants to offer advice I’ll happily listen). Hopefully soon! In the meantime, I might be able to send it as an attachment if you want to see it, although I make no guarantees. It really is a cool vid.

No comments:

Post a Comment