Thursday, September 26, 2013

212

"Sometimes I get the feeling that the two biggest problems in America today are making ends meet and making meetings end." - Robert Orben

Yesterday, at the place where I work, we had a mandatory training. For the most part, it was five hours of my life that I can never have back. The most useful idea of the morning came in the first ten minutes. Since I don't think the concept has a copyright, I'm going to use it here.

What is 212 minus 211? One. A very small - almost insignificant - number. No big deal, right? What happens to water at 211⁰? It gets really, really, really hot. What happens at 212⁰? It boils. (For those of our friends that are more familiar with the Metric System, substitute 99 and 100 respectively.) That one degree makes a huge difference.

The idea is that there is nothing insignificant. Any number, no matter how small, is important. Significant. Vital. Worthwhile.

"If you think you're too small to make a difference, you haven't spent a night with a mosquito." - African Proverb.

No comments:

Post a Comment